Sunday, December 23, 2007

A short film

Well, I was talking to my boss 2 nights ago and it started as a fairly benign end-of-working-week/it's-nearly-xmas kinda thing, with some booze and smoke, but it turned into something else. Much nattering about the deeper truths in life, but also about some fundamental aspects of where we are in terms of a company and the slump we're experiencing both financially and spiritually - the one effects the other, you see.

So then, in the interests of putting some new energy into everything, I mooted an idea and remembered an old script for a short film I had written. And after pitching it to my boss, seems we're onto something. He now insists that I direct, and he's taken on the role of producer. It's effects heavy and I know so very little about directing, but there again, I can see the whole damn thing in my head, so I suppose that's half the project taken care of.

Who knows what may happen, but it's interesting: my displaying some keenness to do, well, anything so long as it was a bit special, has turned back on me and I'm suddenly super-charged about it. It's funny, too, because my boss became so suddenly super-charged about the idea (not just the idea, but also because of his outlook on how such a project can charge up the other players in the company), which fed me instantly.

That, by the way, is the positive feedback loop that people should be looking for in life. One of the easiest ways to find it is to attend a Pearl Jam concert: they feed you (the audience) with energy, which you process and feed back to them in the way of cheers, which propels them to give off even more energy, etc. Seek that, for your well-being shall improve for it!

But I digress.

I don't know how things will go. The effects-heavy nature of the project is kinda beyond me, but at the same time, the script was written with effects in mind, and hence I have a strong idea of how to approach each shot, if not actually how to go about the minutiae of each shot. In the meantime, however, I have been experimenting with setting up your given 3D package to render out for your best compositing needs. More on that in the future.

For now, though, xmas has to get out of the way before anything moves forwards. And new years, I suppose. The script needs a revision, plus I have to get other people on board to help me make this thing. But I have a producer (he also wants to be cinematographer, and I'm fine with that), so all I need now is enthusiasm ... which I have!

No comments: